Monday 18 February 2013

Trauma Therapy: Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR)

If you struggle with painful memories from a past trauma, and are considering what types of therapy might be most useful, let me be your guinea pig today and tell you about Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR).

In a nutshell, EMDR basically aims to help you reprocess memories of past traumatic events that your brain has failed to properly process. 

The hippocampus is an organ in the brain that deals with storing emotional memory.  When a traumatic experience happens to a person, the logic and reasoning centres of their brain are overwhelmed, so the hippocampus fails to communicate with them effectively to process the memory of that event.  

This can result in a person experiencing severe distress when remembering this trauma, and sometimes finding they relive the experience as though it were occurring in the present, because the memory has not been properly stored by the brain as a (sometimes very distant) past event.

The purpose of EMDR is to reprocess traumatic memories by manually involving both the emotion side of the brain and the logic side of the brain, given that they previously may not have been working together, to properly place that memory in the past.

During EMDR, I was guided to remember the traumatic memories that I continue to find distressing by bringing into conscious awareness the memories themselves, as well as the thoughts, emotions and bodily sensations that come with them.  

This means that if you are considering EMDR, you need to be willing to experience reliving a distressing memory through recalling it in detail.  Your therapist should help you to come up with a safe place to use if you need it.

This is quickly followed by having to follow the moving fingers of the therapist rapidly for a brief period of around 30 seconds.  And I mean, RAPIDLY.  It was actually a little bit hard to keep up at times!


It is possible for this therapy to be conducted using other external prompts, like sound or touch, but prompted eye movement is usually the most common and most accessible for the majority of patients.

The process produces a distinctive and naturally occurring pattern of electrical activity in the brain, which causes the stored trauma memory to quickly change.

During EMDR the therapist is not meant to talk or offer suggestions.  I was not asked to change any aspect of the memory, but just to notice the experience.  

At the end of each set of eye movements I was asked to report how I was feeling.  I found the emotional and bodily sensations reduced in intensity quite consistently during the whole process.  Sometimes the physical symptoms would change or come back a little bit, but then further "rounds" of eye movement helped those feelings subside again.

The next step is to associate a more useful thought to the now more distant trauma memory.  The EMDR process is complete when the new perspective feels true even when the old memory is recalled.  For me, I worked on accepting ideas that "I did the best I could" and that "I was only a child" to help me experience these memories in a less distressing way, as previously I had been experiencing strong feelings of shame, self-blame and guilt.

It's apparently common to feel tired after an EMDR session, and this was definitely true for me.  I recommend scheduling in time for rest or something soothing afterward.

Whilst EMDR sounds simple (and let's be honest, a little bit like hocus pocus!) there are many important procedural steps for the therapist to follow.  It actually takes over 50 hours of training and supervision to fully train an EMDR therapist.

EMDR can be effective whether it is conducted once or over a series of sessions, depending on the patient's needs.  I am currently approaching my fourth session.

Overall, I can say I do recommend it as being very useful.

27 comments:

  1. “EMDR can be effective whether it is conducted once or over a series of sessions, depending on the patient's needs.” – Like any other therapies, the constant therapy sessions will eventually lead to your healing. They don’t guarantee instant results, but the long process can make you feel better overall. I hope that with your trauma therapy, you’ll be engaged with physical therapy more often so that your mind and body will work together for your recovery.

    < Sienna Christie >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for posting this. You have written such an effective layman's explanation of this seemingly simple yet intricate process.

      I am currently undergoing EMDR treatment and am keeping a blog of my experiences through this journey. Often, people who read and comment want to know what EMDR is. I hope you will not mind if I refer them to this post for a well-written explanation.

      It's good to have found your blog :)

      ~RisingSong

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing such information. It is precise helpful for me because I love my eyes. I want to increase my eye side and the brightness of my eyes, this information can help me to do so.
    physical therapy in bergen county

    ReplyDelete
  3. this blog is beneficial for eyes because eyes is one of most part of our body with the help of this we can see beautiful world so care of eyes is very necessary this blog is help to how to care of eyes increase the strength of see the objects so please read this blog and safe our eyes. thanks http://www.theexpatcounsellors.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, one year later ---- does it work? what are the factors involved in the efficacy of treatment? How does one find a provider? Is this considered occupational therapy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had 2 years of DBT. It definitely helps. I've also had 3 sessions of EMDR and have been blown away ht the relief it offers from the pain of trauma. I wrote about it here.

    http://www.borderlineliving.com/?p=61

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    This blog is beneficial for eyes because eyes is one of most important part of our body with the help of this we can see beautiful world so care of eyes is very necessary this blog is help to how to care of eyes increase the strength of see the objects so please read this blog and safe our eyes. thanks http://www.theexpatcounsellors.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Your blog has a great information about eyes. The info you provided is really helpful for eyes. Thanks for sharing it.
    Megabrom Eye Drop | Liv Slim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for providing the such a nice post. I'm glad to here that such a nice blog with some great posts. So if you're clinic or hospital owner then you can easily add your clinic or hospital in world largest health directory clinic by choice with free of cost and get the more leads from the patients. Click here to add your eye treatment clinic into our website.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you want to learn this blog provide you Vision Therapy for Treating Learning, So helpful for every all:
    http://www.madefromearth.com/chamomile-eye-therapy.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to read this Post, and I used to go to see this blog daily.

    Do not compromise on the functionality of your eyes for style! Apart from your visual requirements, there are a whole lot of solutions for your eye problems present at the Hendersonville optometrist. Allow yourself to look great and feel great with the best solutions to eye problems which are according to your budgets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anyone from you interested to get the low priced lasik eye surgery in India from the number one hospital of India they can directly fix their appointment with the Rana Hospital. We have the finest team of the doctors that gives you perfect results within the time period.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice blog and helpful informtion. Get Squint treatment in India at inferior cost with guru nanak vision care centre. Our clinic charge very low cost for eye related problems.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m really amazed with your posting skills as well as with the layout on your blog site. Very informative and well written post! Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post Nice Post keep it up.Excellent post.
    "therapy ptsd"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Contact us

    ReplyDelete
  16. your websites are really good. I appreciate your work. 192.168 l l

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this. I am very happy to your post about on. Great information, I would like to say your post is very informative.
    therapy ptsd

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a really great and useful piece of information. Thanks, and please keep up the rewarding work. Perry Mason Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was not first article by this author as I always found him as a talented author. First Aid Usmle

    ReplyDelete
  20. provides the quality service of customized fiber connections in the case of large businesses and government entities.
    Supreme Puffy Varsity Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  21. This letter is awesome. I am happy to find it. It's a great post.
    chrissy stranger things jacket



    ReplyDelete
  22. It's very good.I like your writing style and I can see how you are able to present data in an effective manner. Maverick Jennifer Connelly Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Thanks a lot Jimmy Hurdstrom Red Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi , Thank you so much for writing such an informational blog...!!
    Sean Astin Notre Dame Rudy Letterman Jacket

    ReplyDelete